Which Businesses Must Register with the City of Evanston?
All businesses operating for-profit, including those licensed under a State or Federal Law and home-based occupations, within the City limits must register their business with the City of Evanston. Any business that includes food sales, service or storage requires a Food Establishment License. This license takes the place of the business registration described on this page.
Each place of business must have its own registration. The following business types must register to do business within the City regardless of where the physical headquarters of the business is located: pickup and delivery of laundry or dry cleaning at dwelling units, and garbage or refuse pickup.
How do I Register My Business?
The Business Registration process can be completed online following these steps:
- Verify zoning of the proposed location
- Complete the online Business Registration Application
- Economic Development Staff will review the application and assign a registration number
- Business location must pass a Fire and Life Safety Inspection (can be scheduled by calling 311 at 847-448-4311) or receive a Certificate of Occupancy
- Upon approval, Business Registration payments can be made online
A BUSINESS CANNOT OPEN UNTIL IT HAS COMPLETED THE REGISTRATION PROCESS AND HAS A CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY OR PASSED A FIRE AND LIFE SAFETY INSPECTION.
For additional information please contact:
Economic Development Division
847-448-4311 or email@example.com